21 October 2008

Our Wedding: Part 4

What went wrong...

Well, inevitably as hard as you may try things do and will go wrong on your wedding day. For us it was the following:

1. The woman who showed up to give me a manicure had 3 colors with her; fire engine red, bright lilac and dark purple. I went lilac ... we were using mostly black and white photography anyway.

2. None of the floating candles I dragged there from the US would stay lit on the pool or on the tables.

3. The Best Man stepped on the back of my dress and tore a piece of it out.


4. We only got a handful of photos before the sunset

5. The power went out every half an hour or so due to rolling blackouts on the island

6. The Air Conditioning went out every half an hour due to the power outages

7. My veil, flowers in my hair and curls refused to stay in place and got yanked out shortly into the reception.

8. A crab decided to wander by and bite my bridesmaid.

9. Some of our friends might have had a bit too much to drink and in the middle of dinner one of them actually crawled under our table to try to shoot video up my dress.


Other things that might shock you about our wedding:
- No programs
- No place cards
- No table numbers
- No assigned seating of any kind
- No fancy chairs
- No real color theme other than what was in my dress

So what's the point of all of this? I didn't care about what went wrong. It was perfectly us. People should walk away from your wedding day feeling like it was a reflection of you, not a party someone else planned and you showed up to. That's what went right at our wedding.

Things I love about that day:
I married my lobster. I married my best friend. I married the love of my life who has stuck with me through thick and thin. We never knew the day we said our vows that the whole "in sickness and in health" line was going to be such a part of our lives so soon, and yet there's never been a time when I was so sure I married the right guy as when I've been sick. The other wonderful thing, our family and friends were all right there with us cheering us on, and they all had the time of their lives. I hope everyone has memories as fulfilling, funny, twisted and sentimental as we do.

No comments: