02 February 2009

For the Love of Absinthe



I've been a fan of Absinthe ever since Dade and I first picked up a bottle traveling through Europe 7 or 8 years ago. If you've never seen it or tried it, it's a beautiful anise flavored green drink invented in Switzerland around the turn of the 19th century. Although it was made popular by the French, it is considered by many to have been the most popular drink of late 19th century Europe and was enjoyed by such notables as: Vincent Van Gogh, Pablo Picasso, Oscar Wilde, Ernest Hemmingway, Edgar Degas, Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, and Edgar Allen Poe.

Contrary to popular belief, you won't go crazy if you drink it. Yes, it's usually 100-144 proof, but so are a number of horrible liquors I tried my freshman year of college. Maybe if you sit around pounding glass after glass for a long period of time it's going to catch up with you, but I can assure you that it has not been responsible for my insanity.

The reason for the post... I often get asked where I find the images we use on our invitations. Some are simply stock images from books (I know... not very romantic) others are drawn from scratch, and many have been found by doing things like staring at an Absinthe bottle for a little too long. Ever noticed the imagery on bottle labels? Any of these would be fantastic on the right invite.









I also loooooove the logo from the Absinthe Museum in New Orleans. They, along with their store La Maison d'Absinthe are a great resource for absinthe and all of the fun accessories. We have started collecting spoons, coasters and glasses which always get pulled out at parties. If you're using green for a color at your wedding, an absinthe fountain could be a very unique and attention getting set up at your reception. Additionally, absinthe sugars with coffee, lollipops and candies would be fun and colorful details.




No comments: